JAFSCD Food Systems Research, Policy, and Practice Briefs summarize particularly practical JAFSCD papers into 2-page briefs that encapsulate their critical points for quick reference. Papers chosen to be summarized into Food Systems Briefs are ones that practitioners can benefit from on the local or regional level. They are FREE to download and share!
Interested in volunteering to write a JAFSCD Food Systems Brief? It's a great way to earn a byline while increasing a paper's exposure to people who will find it valuable to their work.
JAFSCD Food Systems Briefs:
Measuring the Current Consumption of Locally Grown Foods (brief by Tracy Lerman; original paper by David Conner, Florence Becot, Doug Hoffer, Ellen Kahler, Scott Sawyer, and Linda Berlin)
Designing State or Local Laws for Purchasing Locally Grown Food: Suggestions for Policymakers and Advocates (brief by Sonia Banegas; original paper by Brannon P. Denning, Samantha Graff, and Heather Wooten)
Re-crafting Food Safety Regulations for Farm Direct Marketed Foods (brief by Tracy Lerman; original paper by Christy Anderson Brekken)
The Economic and Production Potential of Metro Farmland: Lessons from Surrey, British Columbia (brief by Tracy Lerman; original paper by Kent Mullinix, Caitlin Dorward, Marc Shutzbank, Parthiphan Krishnan, Karen Ageson, and Arthur Fallick)
Fostering Partnerships in Supplying Large School Districts (brief by Amy Rosenthal; original paper by David S. Conner, Andrew Nowak, JoAnne Berkenkamp, Gail W. Feenstra, Julia Van Soelen Kim, Toni Liquori, and Michael W. Hamm)
Dissolved: Lessons from a Failed Food Policy Council (brief by Michelle Shin; original paper by Amy K. Coplen and Monica Cuneo)
See the Translating Research for Policy brief from Growing Food Connections, How Food Policy Emerges. It's based on the JAFSCD paper "Rustbelt Radicalism: A Decade of Food Systems Planning Practice in Buffalo, New York (USA)," by Samina Raja, Diane Picard, Solhyon Baek, and Cristina Delgado.
Be on the lookout for these forthcoming JAFSCD Food Systems Research, Policy, and Practice Briefs:
- An Analysis of the Impacts of Health Insurance Rebate Initiatives on Community Supported Agriculture in Southern Wisconsin (brief by Jack Hilchey; original paper by Greg Jackson, Amanda Raster, and Will Shattuck)
- Choosing and Siting Food Access Interventions: Food Mirages and Produce Stands in Portland, Oregon (brief by Michelle Shin; original paper by Love Jonson)
- Bringing Fresh Produce to Corner Stores in Declining Neighborhoods: Reflections from Detroit FRESH (brief by Michelle Shin; original paper by Kameshwari Pothukuchi)
- The Farm Fresh Healthcare Project: Analysis of a Hybrid Values-based Supply Chain (brief by Sheya Mathur; original paper by Kendra Klein and Ariane Michas)
- Toward an Informative and Applied Methodology for Price Comparison Studies of Farmers' Markets and Competing Retailers at the Local Scale (original paper by Joshua Long, M. Anwar Sounny-Slitine, Katherine Castles, Jillian Curran, Harrison Glaser, Ellen Hoyer, Whitney Moore, Lisa Morse, Molly O'Hara, and Ben Parafin)